By: Asma Mahdi
The Fourth of July is just around the corner and that means it’s time to celebrate! As we think about Independence Day, let’s also think about how we can give our ocean independence from marine debris!
When you plan your festivities this year, take some of these tips into consideration:
- Handle fireworks with care and dispose of them properly.
- Avoid single-use products. Reduce your trash footprint. Bring your own water bottle to help reduce waste and trash that can end up in our waterways.
- Think twice before releasing balloons as part of your celebration. They can cause a tangled mess.
- Dispose of waste properly. Always recycle when possible.
- Volunteer to join a cleanup! The day-after all celebrations is when the coast needs you most. Beach-goers can leave behind tons of trash, but you can help prevent it from becoming marine debris by joining a local shoreline cleanup. Join a cleanup near you or organize one with friends and family!
Have a fun, safe, and clean Fourth of July!