Saint Patrick’s Day is here and you know what that means—it’s time to “go green!” What areas of your life could you make greener? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Don’t forget your 3 R’s. Reduce, reuse, and recycle whenever possible!
- Spread the word! Get your family and friends in on the action. Do they think about how their actions can affect the environment? Help them join in your excitement to green-ify your lives!
- Join a cleanup! Want to take a more active role? Join a cleanup in your area or start one yourself (please remember, safety first!). Subscribe to our e-newsletter to get monthly updates on cleanups throughout the country.
- Don’t get caught up in the spring cleaning “out with the old, in with the new” mindset. Think about how you can reuse those old items you no longer need! Old clothes you don’t want anymore? Donate them instead of tossing them in the trash or use them as rags to clean the house.
- Plant a tree! Spring is the season for planting, so take advantage and plant a tree or start a rain garden. Not only are they beautiful, but more plants and stormwater management can help to prevent marine debris from reaching the ocean.
Please keep the ocean clean– go green!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day from the NOAA Marine Debris Program