The Fourth of July is almost here and that means it’s time to celebrate! As you enjoy this holiday weekend, make sure that you’re thinking not only of our country, but of our environment, and keep your celebration debris-free!
Take some of these tips into consideration when planning your festivities:
- Handle fireworks with care and dispose of them properly.
- Avoid single-use products like many plastic items and work to reduce your trash footprint. Bring your own water bottle to your Fourth of July picnic, use reusable plates and utensils, and shop for supplies with reusable bags! Simple steps like these can help reduce waste and trash that can end up in our waterways.
- Think twice before releasing balloons as part of your celebration. They can cause a tangled mess.
- Dispose of waste properly. Always recycle when possible.
- Volunteer to join a cleanup! Party-goers can leave behind tons of trash, but you can help prevent it from becoming marine debris by joining a local cleanup. Join a cleanup near you or organize one with friends and family!
Have a fun, safe, and clean Fourth of July!